Friday, June 15, 2007

Lordy! I'm in trouble!

I took the boys swimming yesterday at Chad's grandparents, which is about a mile from our house. They wore themselves out. All the time I was watching them, I kept thinking, "Oooo they're gonna sleep GOOOOOOOD tonight!" It was great. I had the forethought before we left to prepare supper and put it in the refrigerator. I figured that four boys who had had a very light lunch and a very tiring afternoon in the sun would be hungry. I made their favorites: cooked carrots, cauliflower, meatloaf, strawberry/banana yogurt, and pickles. As soon as they saw me pull it out of the fridge to pop in the oven, they were ecstatic! (These are the same kids who got to pick out a salad from the deli last summer to go camping and choose BEETS and coleslaw!)

So anyway, the hour passed and the food was ready. At about 6:30 or 7 we sat down to eat. I filled each plate a little fuller than usual. They sat in silence (those of you who have ever eaten with them KNOW how amazing that is) while the scarfed down their food. It was amazing. I even asked questions...to EVAN of all kids....trying to get a conversation started. NOTHING. They all asked for seconds. I filled them all up again. That was it for Gabriel. He couldn't finish. Drew, Evan, and Luke asked for thirds. I obliged. Drew, Evan, and Luke asked for fourths. Again, I obliged, adding my "Are you SURE you can eat all that?" With four kids, we don't waste food around here! Drew and Evan politely finished their fourth plates, all but just a few bites, and I excused them. Luke asked for a FIFTH plate. At this point, I was completely astounded. I just sat in awe. At this point there were no more carrots or meatloaf. All that was left of the warm food was cauliflower. Luke ate the rest of it. I texted Chad saying I hoped he was not hungry after his softball game because there would be nothing left.

After texting that, I looked up to see Luke who had taken all the rest of his brothers' plates that were still on the table. He was finishing theirs, too! All in all, I'd say he had about 6 helpings!

Truly amazing...but BOY ARE WE IN TROUBLE...When we have four teenagers, we'll have to have our own farm to keep up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man... I'm glad we're heavy on the girls. What did you put in that meatloaf?