Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Just when the soreness had gone...

I had to weed the garden. It's pretty big...and sadly, it took me 3.5 hours to weed 5 rows. This was all done while coralling 3 and then 4 boys after Gabriel woke up from his nap, while watching the dog be "trusted" on the invisible fence without a leash, while instructing kids what green bean plants and corn look like BEFORE they are actually beans and corn....we lost a few corn stalks. Gabriel was trying to help...

Even sadder, of all that we planted: broccoli, TONS of carrots, green/red/yellow/purple peppers, jalapenos, LOTS of peas, green beans, and corn....the only thing that has managed to sprout is corn and green beans...and 2 -- count them, TWO carrots. That's it. All the hard work that weekend, all the sore muscles...and for a few rows of corn and beans and 2 carrots. It's not because it hasn't been watered...it's not because we planted wrong. It could be that the soil was SOOOO extremely hard and hasn't had anything planted in it for about 10 years.

The whole point was to save us some major cash on groceries...ahh, we'll chalk it up to a learning experience, and I'll say I'm not the pasty, chalk-like white I have been for the last few summers. Even though my hands are screaming at me from pulling weeds, my back and arms are rubbery from working the hoe...tasting the sweet corn in a few weeks will make it worth it. (I hope.)

Drew looked at me while sitting on the ground, hands full of weeds, and said to me, "You said that having a garden would be fun" right before he looked down the long row of corn he was working on.

I almost answered him, but then I thought, Did I? Did I actually say that? Did I think that was true?? *sigh*

A shower will do me a world of good right now...so I'm off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember how long ago you planted, but our carrots took FOREVER to sprout, and when they did, I originally thought they were weeds. They looked like weeds for almost two weeks and now they finally look like carrot sprouts (kind of like parsley). So maybe they'll still come up. Sorry it's not going well. Hopefully the corn and beans will taste great when they are grown!