Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dad - update

Yesterday was a trying day. Dad was uncomfortable for much of it. However, in a moment when he and I were in the room alone, he looked at me and said, "Michelle, I'm not scared." I knew he wasn't, but hearing it was a big relief. His last coherent moments yesterday were spent trying to comfort me, and I will always be grateful for that.

Last night, we had some wonderful Christian men come to Dad's bed side and pray (James 5:14). We knew Dad would want to follow God's Word to the last moments possible, so we thought we should heed the words James wrote and ask men from church to pray. It was a wonderful time of some really touching prayers. I know God heard them.

Dad is sleeping very comfortably. He has given us his best fight, and we are aware that medicine is done at this point. Science can only treat the pain. So we have had them up his medicine to keep him comfortable. We don't know if we have a few hours, a few days, a few weeks...but we know that he has left a wonderful legacy.

I'm not saying this to count God out. God is still in control, and if He feels that my Dad still has work to do, songs to sing, or people to touch for His glory on this earth, God will heal him. Nothing's too big.

But we, as a family, also know that Dad doesn't want to go on in this state or cause any pain for the family.

We are leaving it at the feet of the Savior. He'll know what to do.

No comments: