Monday, October 22, 2007

Ups and Downs

UPS:
Read it and weep!!! I'm so proud of my little guy!!! This is his first report card...well, the first one with more than check marks!! This one had real grades on it, and I have to say, I'm REALLY happy with Luke's accomplishments!!



I have fall break this weekend, and I need it. That's a plus. Big time.

Gabriel turned 3 yesterday!! He's such a big kid now. On Saturday night when I carried him to bed after falling asleep on the couch, I was pretty bummed that it was the last time I may put a baby to bed. It is exciting to see him grow up and get his own (slightly bossy, a little spoiled) personality.

DOWNS:
The spunky little three year old dumped his entire plate at dinner not once...no, not even twice....3 STINKIN' TIMES!!! I was so mad! It's hard to stay calm - especially with repeat offenders. Green beans, mashed potatoes, yogurt - all caked to the floor. THREE TIMES. The entire kitchen was moved to the living room for that "clean up in Aisle 4." The other night Drew did the same thing with chocolate milk. It literally spanned the entire width of the kitchen.

Dad wasn't at the birthday party last night. I was okay while it was happening...and even later that night. Even when Jenny was trying to talk to me about Dad. I was trying not to get emotional then. (Jen, sorry. I guess maybe I didn't really want to talk about it - looking back at last night. Hope I didn't upset you...) Today - hit me like a ton of bricks at school. I was on my prep period, thank God. The image of my dad opening gifts with Gabriel last year while we snapped pictures kept coming to me today. Then the realization that he not only didn't get ot help Gabriel, or see the amazing Bears come back last night or eat cake and laugh with us, or hug me goodbye...it just still stings. A lot. So today? Today was pretty crappy. Maybe the rain and gloominess of the sky didn't help. Either way, I was pretty sad today.

A friend from church is battling some medical issues. I called him in his hospital room and prayed with him during my prep today (and before the breakdown I just mentioned). It's scary to hear dooming medical terms as possibilities. But you know his response? In my anxiety for him, he said that my dad taught him how to handle it no matter what the real outcomes are. How amazing. I was blessed. I guess the last half of this paragraph may belong in the "ups".

Thanks for letting me get it out, once again.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

I cannot believe Luke is old enough to get grades in school (might I add awesome grades! :)
I also can't believe your baby is officially 3 years old! Man, time flies...

I love reading your blog b/c it shows how much of an amazing mommy you are. It seems to always encourage me :) Especially the part where all of the food hits the kitchen floor. I realize my child isnt the only one, and i'm not the only mom that gets so mad when it happens!

The Hutsells said...

Congratulations Luke!! So when does he start getting cash for all those A's? LOL!

Gabriel is 3 years old? Wow! I hope we can all get together when Micah and Todd come home for Christmas. How much fun will that be??

I'm glad his birthday went well for you. I didn't know your dad personally except for those few times we interacted at Micah and Todd's wedding. It seems to me that he would want everyone to be happy on such an awesome day in your little guy's life. Your dad inspired alot of people and I think that will live on through you Michelle. I pray that God will continue to give you peace and patience during those downer times.