Monday, October 01, 2007

I didn't cook

It's really becoming a bad habit...a costly habit...but I didn't want to be home tonight, thinking...about 2 months ago...so we went to IHOP.

Gabriel was too cute eating the Kids' "Funny Face Meal" which was one large buttermilk pancake with chocolate chips, whipped cream smile and cherry eyes. He had a blast eating it. What kid wouldn't?




So the trip worked. I felt like a normal family for the first time in a long time. Every one of us was in a good mood. We laughed together over Gabriel's silliness, Luke's growing sense of humor, Drew's uniqueness, and Evan's constant chatter. We learned far too much from the (how do I say this the nice way??) mentally challenged family across from us. Luke held in the laughter (better than my husband did) when they stood to leave and the son's butt-crack was hanging out of his pants. He didn't seem to mind it, as if it were a normal thing for him. We got in the van after paying, and Chad thanked Luke for being mature enough not to giggle at the man whose butt was hanging out. That sparked an entirely new and equally funny conversation. (Side note: Evan is so going to be that kid. The one that crosses right over the line....the funny but gross comments. You know the kind...hopefully it will just linger around ornery and not dirty.)

Later, we headed to the pet store to hook up Tuck the Turtle with a new filter. His was broken and making his tank quite stinky. He is extremely happy with his new set up, swimming through the new floating log with ease. The kids and I watched him for about an hour tonight. Luke even did his homework in front of the tank in Drew and Evan's room on the floor while we watched. It may be a rough morning because they stayed up late, but I won't regret it because it was a near perfect evening for me and the family. There were no arguments, no whining. It was just nice.

...seriously, their butter pecan pancake syrup is delicious...

4 comments:

a. elisabeth said...

yo! that was a greaaaat update! i cannot believe how big gabe gets every time i see him or pictures of him...what a handsome fella. Ihop IS yummy! i miss you guys so much! thank you for putting me on the prayer list..it totally worked. the next day i woke up feeling uh-mazing. it was nothing short of the hand of God im telling you, cuz the day that I asked you to pray for me, was the worst id felt in the five weeks! so, thank you! :) love ya girl!

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey Michelle- just wanted you to know I'm still thinking and praying for you. I know what you mean about having a normal family evening...but what is normal REALLY?? We'll be at IWU this weekend for Homecoming- maybe we'll see you!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures!!!!!!! I am so glad you had a great evening too.
Love you all,
Mom
:) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,

Just a quick update on the adoption process. I saw your comment on my blog. We've recently sold one of our cars so that we can put that car payment in the bank. We are working on saving money right now before we apply. We need something like 3000 just to do the home study. So we are thinking after the first of the year we will start the process. Keep checking the blog though...we will post changes there for sure!