Friday, August 10, 2007

11 days

The past 11 days have been a whirlwind. Exactly this time one week ago, we were eating the funeral dinner. Exactly two weeks ago, Dad was up, sitting in his hospital room having one of the best days he had had since getting sick...well, I say "since getting sick..." even though he was sick long before we knew...

A month ago, we were being told bad news....

Two months ago, we had no clue my dad would be gone now.

Three months ago, Dad was probably out buying my birthday card....standing in the aisles of Meijer (I suppose) trying to find the perfect one to underline and sign.

Four months ago, he was finishing up Spring Break for the last time ever....and beginning the last long-stretch before graduation....It would not be long before his right hand would go numb and he wouldn't be able to button shirts well anymore.

Five months ago, he had back pain, but the doctors were dismissing it as "not too bad of arthritis. It shouldn't hurt this bad."

Six months ago, he decided he should be getting his back looked at since he was having trouble sleeping.

Seven months ago, he was uncomfortable, but he was enjoying a successful Chicago Bears season.

Eight months ago, a cell somewhere in his pancreas decided to go crazy and become cancerous. What made it do that? Why in the world did this happen?

A year ago, everything was fine...

A year from now...

?? I don't know. It is funny how when things like this happen, everything that was really important doesn't matter. I don't care if I ever teach again...I don't care if I live in Greentown for the rest of my life....These are two things I never even questioned.

I'm not sure anything will ever be fine again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.