Sunday, November 12, 2006

What a great weekend...

I went on a shopping trip and forgot to bring my camera. About 24 ladies or so went from my church. It was so great to get a break from life...even if for 35 hours....it was fun. I learned a LOT about some of you out there!! :) If you are reading, I promise not to let the cats out of the bags. The best part of the weekend was seeing my sister-in-law, well, technically my former sister-in-law be pampered. Imagine an entire day with friends who are there to coach you and support you and tell you how beautiful you are before re-entering the world of dating....what a boost in confidence. It was so overwhelming for the normally standing at the side (not the back), watching and supporting and serving friend that I have. I was so happy for her that I literally busted out crying in the mall. I don't even remember what store. She was looking so pretty and I was so happy for her...and so saddened that she would not be at the Christmas gatherings...I love that girl! Anyway, before it was done, we had about 4 grown women experiencing their own therapy session right there in the department store. Good memories...

The funniest point was at Kohl's in Indianapolis. One of the ladies who wears about a size itty bitty got a pink cammie that had this wrinkled, according-like look to it. I put the hanger over my head and stretched out the fabric and then squeezed in with my best according immitation. After about 12 hours of shopping, this was hysterical. We were all at that loopy point. When we were checking out, the guy working at the register said something like I needed to come back and put the lingerie back over my head and do something or other...that was a little strange... So we made enough commotion with our cackling to get noticed. Then my step-mom said I only get let out once a month (maybe twice, can't remember) and it took that many of them to watch me and keep me in control. I just answered, "I'd LOVE to get out twice a month!!!" This weekend trip was exactly what this weary mommy needed.

Today at church, I had organized (with several people's help) a Veteran's Day service. We were busting at the seams! There were tons of people there! The choir sang 3 songs, our locally famous quartet featuring Peter Heck sang a couple of songs, we had slides shows with music, the Color Guard was there (my uncle Gary was in it, and I had NO idea he would be there---it was good to see you - I know sometimes you see this), as each person left the building, they greeted and thanked all the veterans who had come to the service who lined the auditorium. I loved the whole thing. For more about my thoughts on it, see this. It was sombering, humbling, uplifting, and just an all around good service.

That's about it. (Except the fact that I can end this wonderful weekend with the last half of the piece of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake that I got from the Cheesecake Factory..mmmmmm!!!!)

4 comments:

Todd and Micah said...

What I wouldn't do for some Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. I can't wait till Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What a great weekend! I'm glad you got to get away...even if it's only twice a month (heeheehee). You are absolutely remarkable. The way you can have fun and be so supportive of everyone. I'm glad we could spend some time together. I'll share our little secrets...love ya!

The Hutsells said...

I feel like I'm logging on to ESPN when I come to your blog. How funny.
Oh, I wish I could go shopping again at all my old stores, like Old Navy, Gap, Kirkland's, and Target, oh and who can forget Wal-Mart!
One more year... just one more year...

Anonymous said...

whats that crazy noise when i click on your blog??? lol... :) glad you had fun!!